Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nine Months









Dear Lachlan,

I told myself that I wouldn't be a date late on posting your monthly updates. Here I am, three days late. We've been busy, as have you.

You had your nine month check up this last week and I wasn't able to get off work to go so you just went with daddy. I was shocked when he told me that you are now 19lb 5oz, putting you in the 40th percentile and you are 29.25" tall, putting you in the 80th percentile! This is such a change from your six month appointment where you were 16lb .05oz (25th percentile) and 26.25" (45th percentile) tall! You grew exactly 3 inches and gained 3 pounds! You're obviously doing well in the growth department. :) You've grown almost 10 inches and gained about 13lbs since you were born!

You're no longer doing the worm and have mastered the crawl. Your crawl is pretty cute - you barely lift your knees but rather drag them and move your butt back and forth like you're strutting your stuff. Care for some fries with that shake little Lach? When you're really excited, you take off crawling really fast and laugh when daddy crawls and chases you. You continue pulling yourself up on everything getting bumps and bruises quite frequently. One bonus is that most wipe outs do not seem to phase you and you go on your merry way. If you're tired or hungry and have a wipe out, it's likely there will be tears but otherwise, not so much.

After pulling yourself up to standing, you've started letting go of things. I think the most you've ever stood up is probably for about 5-8 seconds, which is awesome! You even do it in the bath tub, which is not so awesome as it gives me a heat attack! Sometimes we wont be paying attention and look over and you're standing, holding on to nothing, smiling at us. Cutest thing ever. You've started moving from object to object while standing. You'll hold on to your little leap frog station and turn and hold on to the ottoman. You're definitely testing your limits and are curious on what you can and cannot do.. which often results in a fall.

Some really exciting news is that you finally have teeth!! I was letting you suck on my finger one day and I noticed something sharp! It was the first sign of tooth #1 which was your bottom right tooth. While that one was breaking through, we noticed the tooth next to it was on its way in as your gums were raised and swollen. Both have broken through but are still on their way up. We have a hard time seeing them but sometimes you give us a gummy enough smile or when you cry and frown we can see them. They are SO cute. You definitely struggled with the pain and it you a little cranky. You had diarrhea when the first one was breaking through and had your first REAL diaper rash. We used wet washcloths rather than wipes and used disposables so we could use cream and it cleared up within 2-3 days. I cant imagine how miserable you must've been feeling with teeth pushing through and a sore bottom!

You're putting more words together and you talk (and whisper) to inanimate objects quite often. You know the meaning when I sign "all done" and you talk back saying "ahhhhh duhhhh!" - which is both amazing and cute. You get quite excited when I sign it to you which I think is partially because its one thing you understand and know what the result of the action is. I've been doing other sign language with you as well; someday you will surprise me and sign back to me. :) You say both "dada" and "mama" with dada x100 more often than mama. While you say them, I don't know that you know that I am mama and daddy is dada. There is more promise that you know daddy is dada, though. You make the "ma" sound when you are upset - go figure! :) When we tell you "no, no" you smile and think it is funny.......... way to be, child!

Two weekends ago we went to the Rock Creek Farm Pumpkin Patch. Your daddy and I have been going there for 7 years! Our wedding photo that everyone signed at our wedding 7 years ago was taken at the very same pumpkin patch. This year was the best year yet. It was the first time that we felt like we were doing a "family outing" and it felt fantastic. You saw some "petting zoo" animals which you weren't too fond of. You seemed to have a great time there and zonked out as soon as we left. I love that tradition of ours and can't wait till you get excited about it, too.

Last weekend we went to your future wife's birthday party. It is hard to believe that Delaney is 1 year already. I was there for her birth and it hardly seems like a year ago. I was obviously pregnant with you at the time and remember seeing my first stretch mark when Janine was in labor. I remember thinking that it was still such a ways away before you were born but it went quick, which only means one thing, your birthday party is going to be here before I know it. I have been planning for a couple months and have some cute ideas. It's all a matter of funding said ideas and implementing said ideas! I hope that it is fabulous. Both of your grandparents are going to be here so it is sure to be a very special day. I was the only one at Delaney's party to cry so I am trying to prepare myself for your party so that I am not a sobbing mess.

You continue to be a very good and happy baby. You only really cry when you get hurt, are super tired and are hungry. You're very independent and play well by yourself. You're STILL not much of a cuddler and don't even really enjoy being held. You're very interested in exploring everything around you and are too busy to slow down and show some love here and there. We're working on the book reading thing but usually as soon as you sit in my lap to read one you either try to get out of my lap right away or you close the book and said "ahhh duhh!" and crawl away. We're working on it.. we're working on it.

You enjoy most every food that we give you. You love meat and seem to have an endless pit of a stomach. I have no idea how you gum/eat steak, but you do! I would say that right now your favorite foods are (baby) oatmeal, scrambled eggs and chicken/steak. You really do love scrambled eggs and beg for them when I eat them for the breakfast.. just like the dogs! You're getting better at getting the food in your mouth rather than missing and having it all end up on your chair. You do well with a sippy cup and can drink fairly well out of a straw. You love ice water. You're down to about 4 bottles a day, one in the morning, one before your morning nap, one before your afternoon nap and one before bed.

Speaking of naps, you're finally getting better but it is still pretty hit or miss. I would say that more often than not, you're taking two naps a day for about an hour each.. but that varies. Today for example, you took an hour long nap in the morning and a 2 1/2 hour nap in the afternoon and crashed around 7:45p. You've been pushing your bedtime back and are usually asleep between 7:25 and 8:10.... but you still wake up way too early for my liking! We don't have much of a choice for schedule since we leave for daycare between 7:15 and 7:30.

Around the American Thanksgiving this year, we are headed to Canada. I am NOT looking forward to the plane ride. We had great luck traveling there last time but you were also 7 weeks old and slept most of the time. But now? You are SO busy. You have a hard time sitting still for more than 10 seconds. I am hoping that bottles, Cheerios (oh yes, you love Cheerios also), keys and random treats and toys keep you occupied for the 7ish hours we will be on a plane. I may have to open the exit door and jump out mid-flight!

I would say that I have more good days than bad with dealing with you getting old and being a working mom. However, when my days are bad, they're bad. While I love seeing you grow and develop and love you at the age you are, I miss the baby Lachlan. I know you're technically still a baby.. but the baby that depended on me more. It's bittersweet, it really is. We were driving home this evening and you were giving me your paci and putting in my mouth which was hilarious to you and daddy asked me - doesn't it make you totally melt when he laughs? And well, it is so true, it does. Having you makes both of us look at EVERYTHING differently. I look at myself differently, I look at social and global issues differently, I look at my troubles differently, I look at other's problems differently, I look at the future differently. The positivity and optimism that you've added to my life is a serious life saver. I don't have time to sit around to have a pity party about the petty things in life and to be honest, most days I can't find the pity in myself to feel it. You really do give life a whole new meaning for living. I love you so very much and like I always say (but cannot emphasize it enough), I am so so lucky to be your mommy and I am so grateful that I get the experience of having you in my life.

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment