Saturday, July 3, 2010

10 weeks preggo.

Well, tomorrow marks the quarter mile mark. It's pretty crazy to think that tomorrow is 10 weeks already. This means the baby should be about an inch and a half. Pretty crazy; seems like just yesterday my phone said the baby was the size of a poppyseed.

Thus far, the pregnancy has been pretty eventful. While I haven't had many of the typical pregnancy symptoms like puking my guts out, it has been stressful in other ways. Around 5w3d, I came home from work to find I had bled through my pants. We went to the emergency room so sure that it was short lived and we had lost the baby. They did a vaginal exam, blood work and an ultra sound. At the ultra sound, we saw the gestational sac, but that was it. We were hopeful that the baby was doing well. When driving home from the emergency room, we were starving and it was late, so we stopped at McDonalds. I got a happy meal, which came with a juice box, and since, Morgan gave the baby the name juice box and we go by JB for short.

At 6w4d, we went to my first appointment with the midwife. She did an ultrasound for peace of mind and the baby measured .64cm and we saw the heartbeat for the first time! She informed me at this time that I have a subchorionic hemorrhage, which puts me at slightly higher risk for miscarriage but that it was great to see the heartbeat. She wasn't able to tell how large the hemorrhage was at that point. At 8w6d, I woke up feeling like I had wet myself during my sleep, which ended up being blood. It was very scary. I sat crying the toilet with blood dripping into the toilet waiting to pass the baby as a clot. I woke up Morgan and we went to the emergency room. Long story short, they did another ultra sound and the baby's heart rate was 178 and Morgan thinks it was about 2.7cm! They informed me that my subchorionic hemorrhage (sch) was 4cm, which seemed alarming to them, and to us as well. However, we were pretty shocked and relieved that somehow little JB was still alive and trucking along.


I followed up with my midwife the next business day, had blood drawn and then again 72 hours later. It baffled me that they were going to do blood this late in the game, but I did as I was told. My levels were where they should be, or where they would expect them to be.

It's been a week now since I had my last bleeding episode. Anytime I feel any sort of wetness, I am sure that it blood and get so nervous. I am really worried about my sch and hope that it just goes away on its own. I have read one too many horror stories of miscarriages and preterm labor being caused by the sch. It's very stressful but worrying isn't going to do anything for us. One day at a time. I feel very lucky to be 10 weeks with having the two heavy bleeding episodes so early on. I've been trying to educate myself on sch but I think all it does is make me worried, nervous and scared, so I've stopped.

Although I haven't gained any significant weight yet (maybe .5 pounds), my pants are starting to get tighter and I've resorted to closing most of my pants with a hair tie. It works wonders. My pants fit everywhere except where they button.. we'll see how long that lasts!!

Today we bought our first item for the baby. I've had my eye on a bedding set from Target and we went there today and saw that it was on clearance! I had to buy it. I guess you can't really pass up a bedding set for $45. I'm super excited about it.. I'm starting to visualize the nursery :) We have a crib and dresser picked out as well, but will hold off on that until we're further along (and have the money!). It's really stressful when you think of all the things that you need/want to buy for the baby. We were driving today and Morgan asked what big items we will need. I started off by listing off like 4, and then I kept thinking of other things we'll need, too! We'll get there.

So far, I haven't really had any cravings. In fact, I think I craved more foods pre-pregnant than I do now. I don't have a huge appetite, but get hungry more frequently than I did before. I think I eat smaller meals, but more often. This is probably a good thing for both me and JB.

From here on out, I am going to try to update once a week, see how my week went, what changes and observations I've made, etc. It will be excellent to go back and read how I felt awesome and could fit into my clothes when I feel miserable and can't even fit into a moo moo anymore.

See you next week.

xo, mommy to be.


2 comments:

  1. Aw! I am so sorry you have had a rough pregnancy so far. I hope that it keeps trucking along and baby hangs in there. At least you are closing in on the end of the first trimester and the risk of miscarrying goes way down.

    During both my pregnancies I never got cravings until I hit the second trimester so that seems normal to me.

    I can't wait to follow you through your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's scary Krista, but you are such a powerful lady! Tim and I are thinking of you. <3 <3 <3

    -Jordyn

    ReplyDelete