Tuesday, July 27, 2010

13 weeks preggo: keeping calm and carrying on?

Well, I spoke too soon about finally having an excellent appointment. We got a call yesterday from the testing unit and my lab work came back abnormal making the baby at high(er) risk for down syndrome. Seriously?

I am still somewhat shocked by my lab work. The NT scan alone was great (measured in at 1.1 as previously posted) but something must have been completely haywire with my blood work. I think going into the appointment I was expecting something to show up as abnormal because that seems to be the streak that we are on. But, when they showed so much optimism after my ultra sound, I was sure that everything would be just fine. So, the worry went away and when they called to give me my risk ratio, I was expecting something similar to 1:10,000, but ended up with 1:170, which is quite a difference.

Now, when you take 1:170 into a percentage, it is only like .58% which is SO minimal, but, it was enough for them to ask me to return to have a 2 level ultrasound and suggest an amniocentesis. We still haven't decided whether or not we are going to do the amnio. Its hard not to look at 1:170 and only see the 1, implying there's that chance. That's all we seem to see and consider; there's that chance. It's like in Dumb and Dumber when Llyod asks Mary what the chance of them ending up together is:

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me.. ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say.. I mean, we dont really..
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a really long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean.. not good like.. one out of a hundred?
Mary: ... I'd say more like one out of a million ....
Lloyd: .... .......... ....... So you're telling me there's a chance.... (!?!) YEAH!!!!

No really, not to make jokes, but it is really hard not to focus on the fact that there is a chance. I think the chance of the down syndrome on top of the chance of cystic fibrosis on top of the chance we had of losing the baby due to my subchorrionic hemorrhage is just.. really overwhelming.

I went into work today and ended up leaving early because I was really upset, crying, and wasn't able to focus on anything other than everything that is going on.

So with our news yesterday, we decided to go through with the cystic fibrosis testing. Morgan will be going in this afternoon to have his blood drawn and we will know in a week or so. I go back August 16th for further testing regarding the risk for down syndrome. I have quite awhile to wait before that happens. It's going to be a long three weeks.

At this point, all we can do is keep calm, and carry on. What will be, will be; but that still doesn't make it easy.


  1. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. I hope it will just be smooth sailing from here on out.

  2. It is going to be o.k. we love you. Mom and Dad

  3. keep that chin up doll. it will be ok. <3